Monday, June 1, 2009

Random EX enounter - Delhi Airport

This isn't a love story... nor will it make you weep... it's actually nice ... in the sense. I mean is it just me or when you have a "good" conversation with an ex and leave with a smile on your face... you can say that must make you feel very good. Hardeep (Deepi) was a sane ex, I really liked her, at the time though I was 18 and she was 24. Somehow though we clicked and enjoyed each other's company. She used to make me butter chicken, I would go non veg just to have that chicken again! j/k

We broke up because it was that time for her to get married. This was our biggest fight in our relationship, she told me she didn't have the "guts" to fight for us. I told her I didn't agree with the marriage and she was ignoring who she really was. I call it a mutual break up because I understood where she was coming from, but at the same time, my heart got bruised. I just walked away without saying anything and never went back.

Years went by, I get a call from her out of the blue. It was like besides us not being together we were civil and had a good laugh or two. But she had a reason to call me. She told me she thought about our fight and the guy ended up being a real prick, she never felt complete. She knew she was cheating and ignoring herself and her needs. Deepi gave me some bad news that both her parents had passed on, it was after her father died, she knew she had to get out of the marriage and start being herself. She found love, at the office she worked for, a "gori" like me (her own words) they were getting married - in Punjab of all places! She came out to her father's brother and he offered his farm house outside of Amritsar, the ceremony would be private of course, I guess he's a big shot that could pull this off.

I didn't make it to the wedding, it wasn't because I had ill feelings or I was jealous, but I had some heavy issues at the time it just wasn't the right time for me to go to Punjab. After being in Punjab, I'm kicking myself right now cause it would of been interesting to see.

I was waiting for my plane to go to Amritsar at Indira Gandhi Airport, I see this white girl, who could pass as my cousin to say the very least. She caught my eye and I was just people watching - my eyes followed her... low and behold... she sat next to someone I knew...it couldn't be...I felt like I was having a "lack of sleep" moment. Or a "pinch me dammit" I'm dreaming moment. There was Deepi. Deepi and Petz, same airport, in India - the same time. The do I go up and say hi vs. do I ignore them started to kick in. First off I felt like an ass for missing their wedding but I couldn't pass it up and ignore them.

So I swallowed the lump in my throat and walked over. I was greeted with open arms from both of them. Her wife said she has heard so much about me and Deepi looked great. We took a walk around the airport to catch up, I apologized for missing her wedding, after I explained myself she understood. Then she was like, "guess what?" I was like "your pregnant?" I just did a random Petz chuckle, and she stood dead in her tracks. Turns out she was! She took my hand and I felt the baby flutter, it felt so cool. She told me she wished back then she had more courage to fight for us, I told her we both needed time to grow up as individuals, but I was happy, genuinely happy for her. She told me, my turn for happiness will come, she had no doubt I would make someone very happy because she remembers how I was and was convinced I probably hadn't change, except become even more romantic. I joked and said practice makes perfect. I treated her to come coffee and got her wife a pastry (my lame excuse I missed out on the wedding cake, so let me get her something sweet)

We said our goodbyes and that was that. I'm glad she has found happiness. Gives me a little inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment